June 1st was a big day for me. I've wanted to complete a triathlon for a long time and I finally decided to sign up and do one. I hadn't been specifically training for triathlon but I've spent the past year getting back into shape and I was pretty sure I would be able to finish it. I went for a swim one day just to make sure I still knew how. While at the pool, I met a small group of women doing triathlon training. They invited me along for an open swim at Kent Park which proved to be very helpful in preparing me for the race. I also took one long bike ride and realized I needed to get my bike into the shop quickly so I'd have all of my gears while racing. A second bike ride was needed so I could practice drinking from my water bottle while on the bike. It is harder than it looks. To finish off my "training," I went for a 5 mile run. The race ended with a 5K, so I wanted to attempt a longer run to make sure I could keep going after swimming and biking. Dan had the kids that morning and I headed to Palo to compete in my first triathlon. I skipped the wet suit and used a mountain bike but still did pretty well for my first tri. This won't be my last but it may be my last on a mountain bike.

No comments:
Post a Comment